People are now used to doing searches on the internet. Usually, they will type in a query or search keyword based on their needs. The search results will appear on the first page of Google with information or a description of the content. Well, the information that appears along with the title and URL on the search page is known as the meta description or meta description.
Definition of Meta Description or Meta Description
What is a meta description? Meta description is an HTML tag that contains a brief description of the contents of a web page. In search results, an example meta description will appear below the URL of the site’s own page. So, you can see a brief overview of the contents of the website, without the need to enter the site first.
For those of you website owners who want to focus on search engine optimization to bring in more traffic, you must pay attention to how to create a meta description. Because the meta description is one element that has a fairly large influence. Even thanks to the selection of the right sentences, meta descriptions can increase the number of visits by the audience or internet users to your website.
There are many SEO techniques that can help your website or business site to be easily found in search engines, for additional references, before continuing to read this article, you can learn the following materials:
- Get to know Search Engine Optimization for Beginners
- Key Points in Keyword Research You Should Pay Attention to
- Google SEO Expert Guide for Beginners
How to Create a Meta Description
The basic principle of the existence of meta descriptions is to help internet users and Google engines find out briefly and quickly the contents of a website page. The question is, how do I create a meta description?
Always Insert Keywords
An example of a good meta description, you need to insert keywords with a large number of searches, but with a low level of competition. The number of words in the meta description is usually between 155 – 160 characters by using effective sentences and getting to the point of the discussion. That is, you need to create a short, concise, and clear meta description. In this way, it will be easier for your site to appear on page one of Google, and even get position one on the search page.
Although it is recommended that you use keywords in the meta description, moreover Google does recommend this, but be careful that you don’t spam keywords, or use the same keywords over and over again.
Take advantage of the Character Counter Tools
To make a meta description that is in accordance with the provisions, especially with the character restrictions in the meta description, it would be nice if you use a character counter tool. These tools will help you structure sentences to be more effective and efficient, and no longer than 155-160 characters. Because if the meta description is too long, the description that appears on the search page will be cut off and only a maximum number of characters will appear, followed by three dots behind the description.
Create a Meta Description That Interests Readers
Meta description is the spearhead of your website. If the short sentence can attract the interest of the reader, then you will get a lot of page views. Therefore, you must be creative in creating meta descriptions and getting them to click on your site’s URL from the search page.
Meta Description According to Website Content
An example of a good meta description is in accordance with the content of the website itself. If not, then visitors will feel cheated and immediately leave your website and make the bounce rate higher. It is not good for your site’s ranking in search engines.
Steps and How to Create a Meta Description That Attracts Readers’ Interest
- Make sentences as if you can read what the audience or internet users are thinking. For example, “Do you want to be successful and famous in your youth?” or “Want content to go viral and be known by many people in an easy way?” and much more. Make sure the sentence you make is also in accordance with the content of the article or content on your website.
- The meta description sentence that is made must be a solution and a way out for the problems that the audience is facing. For example, “Maximizing your potential as a content creator is the answer.” If your article or website content is about video editing or an explanation of video editing techniques, you can use, “Learning video editing techniques will make you known to more people.”
- Use a firm call to action, so that visitors will want to click on your website link. An example of an invitation sentence is, “Let’s study it right now!” It could also be, “Don’t hesitate, just click here!” etc.
- Don’t use the same sentence or have the same meaning over and over again, especially if the sentence doesn’t have any meaning and only takes up the existing meta description space.
That’s a brief explanation of how to create a meta description that you can follow. Especially for those of you who want to do SEO optimization for their respective websites. You can also use the meta description generator to automatically install meta descriptions for all posts. Good luck!